Working with Twin Valley Homes, Proffitt’s have successfully raised £80,000 of funding to be spent over the next 3 years, to continue to work with ‘Pre-NEET’ children in three wards within south east Blackburn, Lancashire. This project will offer an opportunity for children who are currently disengaged with the education system to be involved with an alternative curriculum. Proposed activities include:
- Youth Drop-In Sessions – Using bases in all of the wards a youth engagement officer will be present at certain times so children have the opportunity to simply talk about personal issues and situations.
- Team Activity Days / Workshops – Workshops would revolve around life skills such as budget control and cookery with a balance of fun and promoting companionship amongst those involved.
- ‘Yo Radio’ – Children involved would be able to take part in aspects of running a radio station from general management and production to working on creative pieces.
- Mentoring Programme – Work with 12 children per year through intensive 1 to 1 support who are currently on the child protection register.
- Diversionary Activities – Children will be given the opportunity to initiate and take part in mini projects such as litter picking and sports tournaments.
- Agricultural project – Children will visit a local farm and a factory farm where they would learn about provenance through activities such as milking cows and insemination of animals.
The project aims to develop children’s sense of trust, increase confidence in their own abilities, introduce them to the benefits of working together, help them identify their own strengths and apply them to everyday life with a positive approach.